Friday, May 8, 2009

Mother's Day Thoughts






Remembering You on Mother's Day

No little hugs or kisses
to wake me up on this morn.
No special card or roses sent my way.
Bittersweet feelings, at least a thousand tears;
Quietly, I celebrated you this day.

I am not like the others,
Though I still wear the name.
I cannot hold you in my arms,
But I love you just the same.

I knelt beside your resting place,
Though I knew you were not there.
I prayed to God in Heaven:
A peace I found in knowing,
sweet child, you're in His care.

To see a mother with her baby-
How my heart breaks in two;
But never would I trade this pain
If it meant there had been no you.

At times I feel I cannot go on-
Living this life without you.
Yet hidden behind my deepest grief
There is joy unexpainably true.

For my [son], you will always be a blessing from above.
Your brief existence has bestowed on me a name I cherish dear.

And although this day is not what I imagined it to be,
I will treasure it because of you-
MY FIRST MOTHER'S DAY.

--- Jana Spigener

4 comments:

*Chelsey* said...

That is a touching poem. I am sure it was hard for you to type it, but thanks for sharing it with us. Like the poem says, "I still wear the name" Happy Mother's Day and I hope you have a good weekend and that next year this day will bring you more smiles than tears.

Mary said...

Janae--I check in with your blog once in a while because I'm always touched and encouraged, and heart broken. Your courage to share your story is inspiring.

annilee said...

Happy Mothers Day!!! What a beautiful poem! HUGS to you!

Esther said...

Thank you for continuing to write, very uplifting to anyone, no matter what their trial.