Saturday, December 19, 2009

Celebration and Perspective

Sorry it's been so long! I've been without internet...

It's been more than a month, but I really wanted to share what occurred on Ethan's birthday. The weeks leading up to Ethan's birthday were miserable and lonely. The memories of his passing became more vivid as his birthday approached. On November 12th (Thursday) I remembered how Ethan was born on a Thursday, and every time I looked at the clock memories surfaced as to what happened that same moment the year before. It was dreadful. The emotions were still so raw - as though I was experiencing it all again. I was not looking forward to the next day thinking that Ethan's actual birthday would be much more difficult.
Early Friday morning, my cousin stopped by. She brought a fabulous birthday cake in memory of Ethan. I was so grateful, and touched, that she had remembered. But I was also grateful for the new perspective this simple act gave me. Immediately I realized that Ethan's birthday should not be a day of mourning, but should be a day of celebration. It was the day I became a mother - and the day we became a family.
The remainder of the day - I was overwhelmed with peace and gratitude. Others also remembered my son's birth. One of my friends brought me this beautiful gift:

I feel so blessed to have so many wonderful friends. It is truly amazing how one small unexpected kindness can lift away sorrow. I pray that we might all be mindful of others and find ways to lighten their burdens.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I thought about you a lot in November knowing that it was going to be an especially difficult month.

Hearts-Treasure said...

You are always in my prayers. . . even more so in November