Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Help to Heal


I have received a request to share ideas of how others can help those who mourn. I have listed for you the numerous acts of kindness that I have received from family and friends. Other ideas can be found in articles listed under "how others can help" on the sidebar of this page.
  • My mother-in-law bought me a pair of cozy pajamas and several boxes of tissue.
  • My grandmother crocheted a beautiful blanket to bury our son in.
  • My mother sewed a tiny white jumpsuit - also used to bury our son in.
  • We received numerous meals
  • Several visitors came to express their sympathy and offer help
  • My sister understood that in my time of grief, it was difficult for me to concentrate. She made several phone-calls to help me figure out insurance.
  • I received numerous plants and flowers that were reminders that people cared, and which brought life into our home.
  • Our neighbors took us out for dinner
  • Friends listened to me tell my story and were willing to look at pictures of our son - this was important to me as I wanted his life and existence to be recognized and remembered.
Some things to avoid include:
  • Comparisons of losses
  • Asking when the couple plans to "try again"
  • Saying "you'll have more"
  • Ignoring the loss
I understand that knowing what to say or do can be difficult - most people do not want to offend the bereaved. However, ignoring the loss can be hurtful to those you care for. If you cannot think of anything to do or say, a simple hug will often do the trick. You could even express "I don't know what to say." Acknowledgment of loss is important - no matter the loss (miscarriage, stillbirth, or infant death).

When helping others in their time of grief, we can look to the Savior.

The Savior provided the perfect example of how to respond to the pain and mourning of a loved one. After Lazarus’s death, Christ traveled to Bethany to be with Martha and Mary. To Martha He offered His testimony of life after death and asked her to reaffirm her testimony. When Mary expressed her grief over the loss of her brother, the scriptures simply state, “Jesus wept” (John 11:35).

5 comments:

Katie and Co. said...

Thanks for sharing your insight and ideas. I love the jammies and tissues idea.

Natalia said...

Janae, thank you for sharing. I thought I'd give you the link to one of the blogs where the Mom shared her thoughts on the same topic. In fact, several of our Angel Moms made similar posts on their blogs. Check this one out (the right column). I haven't asked her permission to share with you, but her blog is not private, so I'm assuming I'm ok. (the other posts are almost identical to that one, so I'm only referring you to one blog)
http://giftsfromgavin.blogspot.com/
love, Natalia

Bates Family said...

I hope you don't mind me commenting. Aubree Gittins is my sister and she told me about your blog. I had a loss at 20 weeks. One of the hurtful things someone said to me was, "Well at least he wasn't retarded." I was very angry when she told me this and just commented to her that I would have taken him any way I could have had him here on earth. That was very hurtful to me. I also heard the "well there will be others" Sure there might but I wanted my son!

Stephanie said...

Hi, I am Jennifer Meikle's cousin (on the other side) and she gave me your blog address. I have been grateful for your entries. About a month ago I deliver a 17 week baby boy. I know our situation is a little different yet very similar. Thank you for sharing! I have a silly question, I don't know where you live, but is there any chance you were in Lee's on Sat. night? I saw someone I thought looked like you but I wasn't certain enough to come ask. I wanted to talk to you... Anyway, you can answer me in an e-mail if you'd like. Thanks! stephaustin77@hotmail.com

Natalia said...

Hello, my Friend. How are you doing this weekend? I've been thinking about you a lot lately... I realized that I never gave you my contact info. Here's my email if you ever need anything: ntsareva@yandex.ru

I hope you feel peace this Memorial Day.
And I pray you feel Ethan close.
much love, Natalia