Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Holding Baby

The first time I held an infant after losing Ethan is when my aching arms finally found relief. There is nothing more wonderful or comforting than holding one of God's children. I will forever be grateful to this infant's mother. I was sitting in church, when she asked me if I would watch her son while she and her husband joined the choir. Many people would not have asked me in fear that it would hurt my feelings... I am so glad this mother did.

Months later, I was visiting a friend who had given birth to the most beautiful baby girl. My friend handed her daughter to me, and in that same moment her baby smiled. What a wonderful gift!

I wrote the following poem nearly 10 years ago:

A Child's Smile

When a child smiles
The world seems brighter.
Peace and love will fill the air.
There is no sorrow lingering around.

When a smile appears on a young face,
Happiness bursts within every heart.
A melody can be heard from every bird.
The air becomes fresher and sweeter.

There is nothing more wonderful than a smile that
lies upon a child's face.

4 comments:

Michael and Natalia said...

true...and the best sound in the world is your child's laughter

Unknown said...

it me almost a year before i could hold a baby. instead of being a sorrowful experience like i thought it turned out to the most healing experience ever. i had to wait til i was ready and then i could let the pain go.

Bates Family said...

Just after we lost our son, my older sister had a set of twins and then a couple of months later, my little sister had her daughter. I didn't think I could hold those babies for a while just because it hurt so badly to see them because I was still missing mine. Someone asked me if I wanted to hold one of the twins and I got the nerve up and picked up the baby. I was the same way. My armes had been aching so badly to hold a baby that holding that little miracle helped the ache go away. Everyone grieves in their own way and on their own time. For me, it helped so much to be around those babies.

Julie said...

That moment when Lilly smiled at you was one of those holy moments in life that you don't forget. I'm glad you felt it too.